Mainers and visiting leaf peepers can thank the cool days and nights and recent rainy weather for the increasing color display in all areas of the state. The third 2022 Fall Foliage Report from the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (DACF) reports low to moderate color change (30-50 percent) throughout most of Maine. As of September 28, 2022, Maine Forest Rangers in northern Maine report high color change (50-70 percent) with low leaf drop.
Northern Maine (zones six and seven) is on track to reach peak conditions during the first week of October. Fall colors in all other areas of the state will occur from north to south through mid-October. Coastal Maine typically reaches peak color during mid-to-late October.
This Week’s Foliage Outlook
“With the widespread frost and cooler fall-like temperatures, northern Maine is on cue to reach peak conditions into the first week of October. The colors will be changing daily as the entire state starts going toward peak conditions in the next couple of weeks. We are in the midst of our shorter sunny days followed by our long, cool nights which brings about the brilliant fall colors that we all so enjoy,” said Gale Ross, fall foliage spokesperson.
Follow the 2022 Maine Fall Foliage Forecast and take advantage of these event and activity tips and ideas for colorful road trips throughout Maine:
- Travel to Maine’s Kennebec Valley this week as the colors start to pop. For a low-key road trip, start in Solon and make your way to the Canadian border along the 78-mile Old Canada Road Scenic Byway. Areas of interest include Robbins Hill for panoramic views of the valley, a perfect spot for a picnic, and Moxie Falls Scenic Area in The Forks.
- Leaf peepers can enjoy the Maine Craft Weekend Oct 1 and 2 on the annual statewide tour of Maine craft artist studios, businesses and events.
- This weekend heralds several fall festivals including the Freeport Fall Festival from September 30 to October 2.
- In Skowhegan, the whole family will enjoy Maine’s Garlic Fest on October 1 and 2 with vendors, food, activities and music!
- The Fryeburg Fair kicks off a week of fun on Sunday, October 2. This popular event draws crowds with endless entertainment options, food and rides.
Autumn enthusiasts can visit the state’s official foliage website at www.mainefoliage.com to sign up to receive weekly reports by email and can share their photos from throughout the state as the progression of color begins. Our Facebook page will include statewide events throughout the foliage season, and our Instagram account (@mainefoliage) will also feature colorful fall shots. For more information about fall activities and events in Maine, go to www.visitmaine.com.
Foliage Report for October 19, 2022
Foliage Report for October 12, 2022
Foliage Report for October 5, 2022
Foliage Report September 28, 2022